Mamahood Styled



5/27/2014

// Acorn Squash Fries //

I can't count the number of times we have received acorn squash in our Bountiful Basket and I have had no idea what to do with the giant acorn root vegetable. At one point, I roasted it and cubed it and sprinkled cinnamon on it. Oliver ate it up, as we did for our work lunches, but neither adult enjoyed it much. I had had two acorn squashes sitting on our wire basket for a couple of weeks and while cleaning yesterday, I wondered what I could do with them before tossing them out. That evening, we were prepping turkey burgers for dinner and I was about to reach for the sweet potatoes to make fries, when it occurred to me that perhaps this giant acorn may just work. & ohhhh, yes, they did! I think I may actually buy acorn squash at the market!
                                 
Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

2. Peer your acorn squash; Cut it in half & scoop out the inside seeds and stuff. 


3. Slice up your squash in fry-like slices. 

                                    

4. Soak them in ice water for at least an hour. (This is what I do with my sweet potato fries, as well). It helps them get rid of some of their starch and makes them crispier). Once you are ready for them, pat dry them thoroughly, and add your desired seasoning. I kept it simple when some garlic & onion powder, tiny bit of sea salt and pepper. 

5. Decide on your bake ware. Lately, I have been all about using cookie cooling racks (with a cookie sheet underneath) for everything that would need to otherwise be flipped in the oven (think turkey bacon, fries, etc).  Otherwise, use a cookie sheet, add thick aluminum foil and spray with coconut oil, or your preferred spray. If you don't have spray, dab some oil on a paper towel and wipe it on the sheet. 

6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until desired level of crispiness/brownness is reached! I like to turn on the broiler for a minute or two, watching them the entire time or else they are guaranteed to burn the moment you walk away, for extra well done fries!

I wasn't sure if these would taste like sweet potato fries, or regular potato fries- surprisingly, they tasted like the latter! Husband and baby approved! We dipped them in our favorite yogurt ranch dressing and I made a spicy ketchup mix to dip them in!


Super simply, healthy and delicious! A new, accidental, staple in our home, now! Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks