Mamahood Styled



12/15/2011

Healthy, Easy, Delicious.... Cookies!?! [Maritza: Homegrrl Guest Blog]

I love cookies. I love healthy, mindful foods. & I absolutely love my homegrrls. Which is why when Maritza (aka my Roomie) told me she was trying a new recipe she found for healthy cookies, I was beyond excited that she decided to make this her first guest appearance on my little ol' blog! I had this recipe pinned on Pinterest but like a dozen other recipes (like those energy balls and the healthy cookie dough with chickpeas(?!), I haven't gotten around to it; SO glad she did!!


Enjoy and let us know if you try it out!



As I stumbled across a recipe that read "healthy cookies" I couldn't resist but to feel a little curious and skeptical at the same time.  "Is there such a thing as a healthy and delicious cookie?" "Are they going to be too healthy that I'm going to end up just throwing them away?"- I asked myself. So, despite of my trepidations I decided to make them.  Which I'm glad I did! They were delicious, and will definitely be making them again.  Oh, and did I mention that these are way easy to make (always a plus, in my book!).  These cookies are considered to be healthy because they DON'T contain any sugar (crazy, I know), flour, eggs, or butter (pretty much all the good but not good for you stuff, I thought were always a must when making cookies).  By the way, I know these might not be the prettiest cookies you've seen but don't let that fool you.  



[caption id="attachment_243" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Delicious AND Healthy?! YES!"][/caption]


The ingredients:


1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup of almond meal
1/2 cup mixed nuts, finely chopped
1 cup dried fruit (I used 1/2 chopped dried dates, and 1/2 raisins)
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


I didn't have any allspice so I added 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinammon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg instead.  I'm also not a big fan of dates and didn't have mixed nuts so I substituted those with 1/4 a cup of dried cranberries, 1/4 a cup of cashews and a 1/4 cup of yogurt chips.  Lastly, I added 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal to it as well.  As you can see you can add whatever your little heart desires (remember try to keep it, healthy) ;).


Original Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, almond meal, mixed nuts and coconut flakes. Stir in allspice and cinnamon. Add dried fruit and stir until well and evenly mixed. Make sure the dried fruit do not stick together in big batches.
In another bowl, combine canola oil, mashed banana and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until well combined.

 

[caption id="attachment_244" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Cookie Mix"][/caption]

Take medium size spoonfuls and place on parchment paper. Mine came out to about 16 cookies. Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.



And.....tada!!! You made yourself healthy cookies!  My favorite part was being able to eat a couple of them at a time without the guilt.  


Mmmm, can't wait to try these! If you're interested in being a Homegrrl/Homie Guest Blogger, let me know!


P.S. I've been on a roll making all kinds of crafts and recipes that I pin on Pinterest! So far this week: all my Secret Santa gifts were inspired and recreated in my own way; Butternut Squash Pasta was re-hashed- never thought we'd love it but we did(!), Parmesan & Panko Crusted Asparagus (followed exactly and absolutely loved it); guacamole salsa (edited recipe: yuuum); chicken enchilada with green chile/sour cream sauce!! Everything has been great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks