Mamahood Styled



4/16/2013

Oliver's Birth Story- Part Deux of Deux

I had left off where I had begun to consider taking medicine. The pain was pretty much unbearable. I couldn't understand how to describe the pain and the exhaustion that was starting to set in. I hadn't been able to sleep much the night before and I was working on an empty stomach- which was good! That morning, when I thought I might be in labor, I made myself a piece of toast with peanut butter and half a banana sliced on top- what I would consume for a marathon! haha!
Anyway, as I was saying, I cannot begin to explain what that pain was like. Your absolute worst period and stomach cramps rolled into one. My contractions doubled up each time and by the time I was done with one duo the next approached.

Our nurse told us that Susie requested for me to not have any medicines until she arrived. Which wouldn't be for an hour or two. I began to want to cry. Geoff kept asking me if I would just take some medicine to cut off the edge of the pain and so I could relax. As tempting as it was, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The idea of it affecting our baby in anyway- I just couldn't risk it. I kept thinking of all the struggles Geoff has been through. Of everything our baby had been through to make it to this point. I just needed to wait a bit longer. I don't think I opened my eyes much at this point, just trying to mentally ride each painful wave and thinking how eventually the pain would go away and we would have our baby in our arms. I would close my eyes and concentrate and go elsewhere in my mind and think that a lot of time had passed. I finally would peek at the clock only to realize only 5 minutes had gone by! This kept happening over and over. After an hour of this, I finally told Geoff he should go get something to eat. I wanted him to have energy and strength and even though we had packed granola bars, I wanted him to have something more substantial. He agreed and was about to walk out the door when a familiar voice graced us! Susie! She had arrived a lot sooner and she had the look of excitement and happiness on her face! Geoff made a quick u-turn and came back into the room. By now it was 4pm! Susie has this presence about her that just brings me comfort and warmth. Like a mom does when you are hurting and in need. She asked me how I was doing and I told her not good. She told me I could do it and just needed to hang in a bit more. She explained that since they couldn't tell why the babies heartbeat was dropping with each contraction, that she would need to put in an internal monitor. When she went to put it in she sighed and said that the reason for it was that the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck! Eek! That explained why my labor was going so hard and painful, apparently. She wanted me to change positions to see if that would help. So I was instructed to turn on all fours and hug the top of the bed, so I'd be on my knees, and sway my hips side to side. I did this for awhile and it was so painful. I kept telling her I couldn't do it anymore and she asked me if I needed to bear down. What? Bear down? Wtf?! I remember saying "Bear down?! What? Idk what that means!!!" haha! Apparently it means to push like you need to go the restroom, lol! I told her not, necessarily and she asked if I was sure. I told her I didn't know. I've always heard you have this crazy urge to push push push! I was in so much pain that I don't think I could register, but I don't remember having a specific urge to push. She checked me and said "okay, let's get you on your back! It's time to push!" I was fully effaced and dilated. What?! In an hour!? I kept asking her if she was sure.,, "Are we really having a baby right now?!" She laughed, and said "Well, yes, but not right now, right now...you have to push him out!" haha! Geoff and I couldn't believe it. Our eyes and hands locked and we realized this was it. Our lives would change more than ever! We watched as Susie suited up and the nurse scrambled to get things ready. I heard them call NICU because of the umbilical cord. Geoff ran to start recording on the camera. The next 30 minutes are all captured on video and it's pretty unbelievable to watch. I pushed for 27 minutes before he came out. Each push was sooo hard! I was told to push during a contraction and rest/breathe in between. I couldn't even tell when one contraction started and ended. I had read that pushing brought some relief and of course, it didn't do anything for me, haha! I got the hang of how to push right away and everyone was so encouraging. NICU stayed behind to give us as much privacy as possible. I thought it would just take a few pushes and be done but Susie would make me stop pushing- probably so I wouldn't tear. But within a few, I heard them start exclaiming about his head! I started pushing past the part of telling me to stop, and Susie ended up having Geoff put an oxygen mask on me so that I would recover better in between pushes. It felt like no push would bring me there. Eventually, I heard her explain that the umbilical cord was wrapped twice around his little neck and Geoff later told me, she pried it off of his neck! At one point, towards the end, I let out a bit of a yelp or scream and then quickly apologized haha! I think that's the only loud noise I made! Lol! Geoff was so incredible throughout the process. Right by my side, helping me out and with this look of amazement and excitement all over his face! Finally, Susie told me to reach down and place my hands under the baby's shoulders so I could pull him out myself like I wanted. She guided me and with a swoosh, out he came!!! Amazing! Beyond words! Exhilaration to the max. Nothing can explain this experience correctly. Before I was able to pull him all the way to my chest, they had to check him to make sure he was okay! Geoff later told me that his face was so blue! Scary! Geoff was able to cut the cord once it stopped pulsating! Still holding him up in midair, all of a sudden he let out the most beautiful cry I have ever heard and all I wanted was to comfort him. I pulled him to my chest and welcomed our new baby boy into this world. At 4:51pm, Oliver D Cruz Montgomery let us celebrate his birthday.

I counted all his fingers and toes! I studied his face and features! His light skin and hair! This huge beautiful eyes, little button nose and the biggest mouth and lips I had ever seen! He was perfect and absolutely beautiful! He was the baby that had spent the last almost 40 weeks inside of me, makin me wonder. The only other being that knew my inner most being, my heartbeat from within. This little piece of me consumed me immediately.

We were allowed to study him and meet him for as long as we wanted. It was amazing! Eventually, Susie said I needed to deliver the placenta so we decided he should get weighed at that moment. Geoff went with him a few feet away and Susie and I talked away! It was still very painful and I remember being giddy and excited, yet still flinching as I delivered it and she stitched up a couple of lady parts inside of me. I asked her if I teared and she said I had nothing on the outside! Amazing! I asked to see the placenta and it was incredible to see as she explained the side that was attached to me and the bag where he had lived all this time. Beyond incredible. Oliver was brought back to me and we witnessed him crawl on my chest for his first meal. Even as I write this I am beside myself. It is incredible what our bodies naturally do. This teeny tiny little being knew exactly where to go and what to do. Still, in this moment, makes me stop and think. Beyond.

I could go on and on about the next 48 hours; the emotions, the family, best friends, etc. But for now, I'll pay the story of this baby's birth the respect it deserves and leave it at that. But let's just say that this baby was welcomed into this world by his beloved family/friends and made us feel so lucky and blessed all over again. xo.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading birth stories! Watching the video of you pulling out Oliver, and of course, meeting him were amazing! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks