Mamahood Styled



3/17/2014

Healthy Pancakes- oh my!


There's something so very comforting about pancakes. On Sundays, my dad would make his special batch of pancakes- fluffy, buttery, round clouds of deliciousness. When Oliver was born, my mom and two sisters surprised me at the hospital. My dad was unable to make it because he was working (it was a Wednesday). But that Saturday morning, he arrived on my doorstep to meet his newest grandson. On Sunday morning, right before he had to leave, he made a huge batch of pancakes for us. It was the sweetest thing.

Unfortunately, pancakes are not the healthiest breakfasts out there. I have experiemented endlessly with recipes ( a lot can be found here- just search pancakes), and finally have a base that seems to not fail me time after time. Mainly because it's so very easy and foulproof! I struggle with my recipe creations because I tend to not measure and go by taste and texture. A little of this, a little of that, and a lot of oh- that would be good in it! Haha!

Check out this weekend's pancakes! I made extra batches for today since it is St. Patrick's Day and green is a must!
Delicious and healthy!

Fluffy, delicious, yummy, versatile, pancakes!

My pancake base:
-equal parts (I generally do 1/2 cup of each per person) of the following:
  • old-fashioned oats
  • cottage cheese*
  • egg whites
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • as much spinach as you can fit in your blender after adding the previous ingredient
Directions:
  • Add old-fashioned oats to your blender and blend them (this is how I make my own oat flour. I buy an extra container of oats and it literally takes me less than 5 minutes to make a huge batch of oat flour that generally costs quadruple the price)!
  • Add cottage cheese (The only cottage cheese I have found that is not filled with a shitton of weird ingredients is the Daisy brand).
  • Add your egg whites (or whole eggs if you prefer); add spices, vanilla, baking powder and blend. 
  • Finally, add as much spinach as your blender will still hold and blend away! The spinach is optional depending on the type of pancakes you are trying to make but seriously, why not?
Look at that fluffy perfection- & my fancy plasticware!

-Additional Add-in's/toppings
  • your favorite spices (my defaults are cinnamon and pumpkin spice
  • chia seeds
  • ground flax
  • peanut flour
  • pumpkin puree
  • almond milk
  • chocolate chips
  • nuts
  • extracts (think mint, butter, etc)!
  • fruit (banana, any berries)
  • Greek yogurt/cottage cheese- have you ever had it together? It's the only way I eat my greek yogurt now!
  • This particular picture has greek yogurt with 1 tbsp. of white chocolate no-sugar added jello pudding mix, a little bit of almond milk, dash of vanilla stevia, topped with fresh strawberries and sugar-free syrup! Yum!
Experiment & enjoy! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Peanut butter banana pancakes!

Elvis pancakes- peanut butter, chocolate chip, banana, turkey bacon pancakes for dinner! Hotdamn!
Buttermilk pancakes for Valentines day topped with greek yogurt and fresh berries and a berry jam (frozen berries, heated through and a tiny bit of stevia or honey added, then mashed)!
Blueberry and Banana Pancakes with Kale + Spinach! Baby approved!
Anxious little baby hands eating the rainbow!
Shamrock and pancake stacks with cottage cheese/greek yogurt/white chocolate pudding mix and gold sprinkles. With a fruit rainbow on the side! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks