Mamahood Styled



11/30/2010

Who woulda thought Brussels Sprouts?!

I had never ever tried Brussels Sprouts in mi vida loca. The round little miniature cabbage-looking veggies didn't appeal to me and xenophobia kicked in a bit. But there they were. About a pound of them included in my basket a couple of weeks ago. When we were brainstorming our Thanksgiving meal options I volunteered to give it a whirl. The worst that would happen is that we wouldn't like 'em! I decided to do some research and found out that they can be bitter and raw is a definite don't. However, if seasoned properly and cooked at the right temperature, my oh my. These are a definite healthy & scrumptious treat.

To quote, this was a text I received from Geoff today as he had lunch today: "I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm dissapointed we didn't have any brussels sprouts leftover!"

Ingredients

1- 1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, yellow leaves removed, cut in half

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3 cloves of garlic, minced

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat.

3. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning.

4. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Serve immediately.

These are great as a side dish or atop pasta! I'd imagine even on a fresh salad! Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks