Mamahood Styled



11/15/2010

Twice-Baked Potato Scoops

Oh boy! If you have the time, a few potatoes and some veggies, you are in for an absolutely delicious and versatile treat! In my basket this last Saturday (which my future MIL picked up for me- Thanks Momma!), we got another bag of potatoes. I absolutely ADORE potatoes! Baked, fried (a la french, haha), mashed, etc! Ah, amazing vegetable! Hearty & a total comfort food of mine!

I wanted to make something new, that incorporated mashed potatoes (since they're my fave and I've been making them from scratch for my family every holiday since I was little)! I remembered the last time we went to a sit-down restaurant they had what appeared to be little potato "boats" with mashed potatoes inside topped with bacon, cheddar cheese and sour cream..Mmmmmm! Now, although that looked amazing, I'm sure I went for a veggie dish instead. So tonight, I bring you a very versatile recipe that is healthier and can accommodate any taste buds. I literally just looked in my fridge and pantry for whatever I had available and went with that. The possibilities for this recipe are endless! It's almost like deviled eggs, but with potatoes! & with Thanksgiving around the corner, this may be a good side dish to change things up a bit!




Ingredients- basically, however you like mashed potatoes!



  • As many large baking potatoes as you want to make- I made 6 because ours were small and I always make extra for lunch or in case we get company

  • Any veggies you want to add: I added small chops of the following: broccoli florets, red and yellow peppers, and carrots.

  • I didn't have any cheese and my beau is a cheeser so I added a teaspoon of cream cheese

  • soy milk (or regular) until desired consistency

  • 1 tablespoon of butter

  • 2 minced garlic cloves

  • salt and pepper to taste




Directions



  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

  2. Bake potatoes for 1 hour or until soft. You can wrap them in aluminum foil, spray a tiny bit of EVOO and sprinkle sea salt and pepper for crispier skin You can also take a fork and poke each potato a few times to allow heat to get in and cook a bit faster (thoroughly).

  3. Cut each potato in half. If yours are small, cut only enough to be able to scoop out the inside.

  4. Let potatoes cool because you'll be handling them (haha)! I am not patient and used a clean kitchen towel to get going on them.

  5. Scoop out the potato from the skin leaving about 1/4 of the potato so you have a sturdy base. I cupped each potato in my palm and used a tablespoon starting from the center out. Put all the potatoes in a mixing bowl or food processor.

  6. Add all of your ingredients. Pulse or mash until desired consistency/taste.

  7. Fill the potato skins/scoops with your mashed potatoes (I sprinkled a bit of nutritional yeast on each since I didn't have cheese).

  8. Bake for 10-20 minutes (depending on how crunchy you want your toppings). Broil the last minute.

  9. VOILA! Enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks